2009-12-07

Fedora made with crochet thread

I've been neglecting my blog - but not my crochet, so I thought I'd update you on my latest project - a hat made from crochet thread.  I know, you're saying "What?"  Let me explain: I wanted something a little different, which may not surprise some of you.

I went to my yarn stash, (which my wife makes me keep in the garage, now) and picked out several colors of #10 crochet thread (red, orange, yellow, purple, and pale blue), a G crochet hook and started crocheting.  I'm very pleased with the result.  I had to block the brim (steam only, no starch or stiffeners used) to get the look I wanted.


6 comments:

Ghost said...

A Fabulous Fedor for Christmas. How festive and colorful.

Unknown said...

I love this.

J. Hunter said...

Awesome, Gene! I take it that you held all the colors together. Was this a pattern you had already done, just with a different medium?
Gian came by today to get some red yarn from me, and he had on a fingerless glove that he made himself! He was point to the cuff and telling me he did a rib stitch there, and increases and decreases......I was bowled over! Of course I took a picture and will get that posted to my blog shortly.

CrochetDad said...

Yes, 5 strands held together. No pattern yet, but I'm working on this - had several requests.
That's wonderful about Gian and his progress with his crochet. I will be checking your blog.

Harold2 said...

The Fedora is wonderful. Love the last one pictured!!!!! Cant wait for the pattern. How different is it working crochet thread as compared to yarn?

CrochetDad said...

Working with 5 strands of #10 cotton crochet thread is about the same as using worsted-weight yarn, since the thickness of the 5 strands is approximately the same as one strand of worsted-weight yarn...

The pattern is almost ready for production. I'll definitely announce it here when I'm ready to distribute the pattern.